Brutal Cities - Bruteopolis Plaza Review
Not a lot of entries lately as I've been focusing on my photography especially since there hasn't been a lot of in-person gaming this year. I got a few things to touch on soon, but for now lets take a look at this amazing work of MDF architecture, the Bruteopolis Plaza from Brutal Cities.
Disclaimer: I purchased this model kit during the recent anniversary sale from Ryan @ Brutal Cities. The views are my own. I was not paid or given anything in return for writing this review.
This is not my first kit from Brutal Cities, I have a few of their structures already and I love them. They are fairly easy builds with a sense of verticality I have not seen from other terrain builders which is very big draw for me. Most terrain designed with Infinity in mind is smaller habitats for forward operating bases or smaller 2 story buildings. Some industrial stuff... but there is a lack of sky scrapers and multi-story buildings. Brutal Cities has found their niche.
As usual the kit came in a soft pack paper shipping envelope that provides sufficient protection for the components inside. They came from the other side of the world and got man handled by Canadian customs and still showed up without any damage which is nice. It's all nicely flat packed, Ikea designers would be proud.
One thing I enjoy about Brutal Cities kits are that the MDF is of high quality and is very well cut. There isn't a lot of fine detail on these like you would see with Warsenal kits, but that is part of the design aesthetic of Brutalist architecture. Having the fine little things like slot holes already pre-punched is nice, that way you don't get a litter of little tiny MDF cubes all over your floor when you unwrap it. It's a first world problem, but a nice touch. All parts punch out easily and things like windows and plant room doors require a bit more effort to punch out which does allow you to choose which windows are open and not feel like there will be a problem with the other ones falling out during gameplay or transport.
At the time of writing there were not any instructions available online. Ryan did send me some, but they went to my spam folder and I never saw them until the next day after I already made a few mistakes and assembled 90% of the building.... so my oopsies are my own. That being said, with just the pictures from the website as guidance it went together very easily!
The objective room was first and with a beer in hand I dry fit the whole thing together and then went to assembly. Super smooth, locked together easily and everything squared up solid without any real work or manipulation. I shook it apart and glued it together and everything checked out perfect. At this time I still had no idea how large this monstrosity would become.
Next were the two office floors. This is where I boo-boo'd. There is an inner and an outer wall. The inner wall has the window and the outer wall is the sleeve that goes over the room below it. I assembled the outer walls upside down which ends up covering the lower floors windows when it's all put together. whoops! Didn't realize that until the end. Just like the objective room/floor level everything went together incredibly square with minimal effort and they slide off each other very well creating stable joints that are still playable.
The third step was the roof/plant room layer. Wanting to have playability this was assembled as two separate parts and I gotta hand it to Ryan for creating a very cool design for the roof with the angled walls. The roof "floor" with the plant room walls were assembled and then the roof itself with the side assembly was then assembled and lifts off and reattaches very nicely.
Finally greeblings and interiors. The radio tower goes together super smooth! I was kind of worried of getting it all squared up but really the design here is very well thought out and it just locks into position wonderfully. The ladders of course are silly simple. I decided not to glue these into place. The interiors was a royal screw up on my part... I should have dry fit it all but glued as I went and had to rip it out twice and still didn't put it together properly. Oh well, at the end of the day it still works and looks great! I can't see it being used often for regular game play, but I could see some fun scenarios being done if I did build up a full interior.
Overall construction took me about 2.5 hours total from opening of the packaging to finished structure. The objective room took about 30 minutes and the rest about 2 hours as it took a bit longer than watching Star Trek Undiscovered Country.
Off to paint!!
I grabbed my full can of Tremclad Matte Gray and took to the front yard to spray. A whole can later and the base coat for the exterior was done... okay while it dries I guess I'm off to the rattle can store to get more paint!
Once I got back to the house I grabbed some white and sprayed down the interiors. That was kinda nasty as my two cans of white got dry tip pretty quick and one was already on the way out. It made getting even coats a pain in the ass, but here we are. I masked off the windows and doors and then did my second coat of the exterior. Sprayed an aluminum colour for the doors that I will do a dry airbrush over later.
Overall it's very playable in its current condition and just looks amazing on the table! I have yet to play a live game with it due to the pandemic locking us all down, but I did setup a table and love how this just takes over the battlefield!
it really takes up a lot of space!
Definitely blocks sight lines
Soon I will have a post on how this plays!